Visit Coney Island, New York
Famous for its rides and hot dogs, Coney Island is a must-see while in New York. Coney Island was magical yet confusing. When I got there, the first thing I saw was an abandoned building site then I took a turn around the corner and saw pure bliss – rollercoasters, fair food, the ocean, kids hyped up on sugar and a baseball field home to the Brooklyn Cyclones. Seriously…what is this place??
Coney Island preserves its natural history and locals and tourists enjoy it! At Coney Island, the rides operate roughly between Easter and Halloween however the beach and boardwalk are open all year round. There is plenty to see and do while in Coney Island – The rides, hot dogs, candy, freak shows, go-karting, ice-rink, aquarium, beach and not forgetting the usual arcade goodness. It seriously is a little kids (or grown-up’s) dream come true!
Here is a list of must-see’s and do’s while in Coney Island:
- Nathan’s Famous – You gotta try their hot dog’s!
- The Cyclone Roller Coaster – The Cyclone first debuted back in 1927 and is an all-time classic and a must-try while in America!
- Coney Island Circus Sideshow – Ready for knife swallowing, freakishly strong people and fire swallowers? This show is not for the squeamish!
- Walk the boardwalk – With nearly 5 kilometres of beach, this makes Coney Island’s boardwalk one of funnest places for active people. With courts for beach volleyball, handball, basketball and a version of California’s muscle beach for the gym junkies – It makes it a pretty awesome place (oh, and it’s friendly for your fur pals too!).
- Compete with your partner – There is a 3-point basketball competition you can take part in AND right next to it is a go-karting race track. Definetely a must-do for any competitive couples/ friends out there. Safe to say my husband beat me in both go-karting and basketball and he even got given a slow kart! :S
Now that you’ve got your to-do list sorted for when you get to Coney Island, I’ve compiled a little video to show you what we got up to (bearing in mind, it was 12 degrees when we visited so it was a little chilly to enjoy the beach) but it was still awesome! Hope you enjoy x